August 22, 2022
Invisalign revolutionized the field of orthodontics when they debuted their clear, virtually undetectable aligners. Since then, they’ve helped more than 12 million patients straighten their teeth and achieve the smiles of their dreams. While the discreet appearance continues to be a big draw, it’s important to note that the trays can stain. Don’t worry – that’s where Invisalign cleaning crystals come in! Keep reading for a step-by-step guide on how to use them properly.
How To: Use Your Invisalign Cleaning Crystals Properly
If your aligners begin looking a little yellow or start smelling a bit off, then it’s a good idea to give them a deeper clean with the cleaning crystals. Here’s how:
- Step #1: Remove your aligners and rinse them under room temperature water.
- Step #2: Place your aligners in a clean container filled with lukewarm water (there should be enough water for your trays to be completely submerged).
- Step #3: Add one packet of cleaning crystals to the water.
- Step #4: Gently shake the container, dissolving the cleaning crystals in the process.
- Step #5: Let your aligners soak for 15 minutes, shaking the solution as needed.
- Step #6: Rinse the aligners with room temperature water and place them back in your mouth.
The Best Time to Use Your Invisalign Cleaning Crystals
Since your trays only work when you’re wearing them, it’s of the utmost importance that you wear your trays for 22-hours-a-day. The best way to thoroughly clean your aligners without cutting into your wear time is by multitasking. For example, soaking your trays with the cleaning crystals while you’re eating dinner. By the time you’re done eating, your aligners will be nice and clean again. Just make sure to thoroughly brush and floss your teeth before putting them back in, of course!
5 Additional Tips for Keeping Your Aligners Clear
With the right best practices in place, your aligners will stay in pristine condition without ever using your cleaning crystals. Here are a few tips to help:
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush to clean your trays after each meal.
- Brush and floss your teeth after each meal.
- Remove your aligners when you eat or drink anything other than water, including coffee.
- Don’t engage in unhealthy dental habits, like smoking.
- Drink plenty of water throughout the day to rinse away debris.
If your aligners begin to yellow, your teeth will start to look yellow as well. So, do your best to keep your trays in pristine condition by cleaning them regularly and soaking them in the cleaning crystals as needed.
About the Author
Dr. Patrick Crowley is a graduate of the University of Oklahoma College of Dentistry and is proud to call Oklahoma his home. Over the years, he’s helped countless friends, new and old, achieve smiles that are both healthy and beautiful. To continue to provide those in his treatment chair with only the best, he maintains active memberships with the Oklahoma Dental Association, the American Dental Association, and other professional organizations. If you have a question about life with Invisalign or you’d like to schedule a consultation, then don’t hesitate to visit our website or call (405) 751-5515.
No comments yet.
RSS feed for comments on this post.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.